Monday, November 5, 2012

Recipe -- Crockpot Oatmeal for people who hate oatmeal

IMG 0868

So, I hate oatmeal.

Slimy. Icky. Nasty stuff.

However, oatmeal is good for you and processed cereal is bad and it can be done in a crockpot, which is all forethought-y and stuff. 

So, I spent a year experiments and going from 'gagging down the oatmeal' to 'I ate it, didn't I?' to 'okay. I can eat this'.

Then I hit, oh. Wow. Okay. YUM!

:D

Crockpot Oatmeal for people who hate oatmeal

Ingredients:

1 c steel cut oatmeal (not the flaky stuff) (if you're gluten free, get gluten free oats)

1 c. vanilla almond milk (I don't drink milk, but I see no reason you couldn't *use* milk)

3 c. apple juice or water or pear juice or coconut water, just make sure it's wet

1 big or 2 little apples, peeled and chopped up

2 big handfuls of dried cranberries

a dollop of maple syrup

cinnamon (we use lots)

Do it:

Put it in the crockpot, stir it up and put the lid on. Cook on low overnight. 

It serves 4 generously and I like to top mine with a spoonful of brown sugar and some walnuts. If it's too thick, pour a little milk on it.

It's yummy.

:D

Much love, y'all.

BA

1 comment:

Katherine Halle said...

Oh I actually like oatmeal and this looks really good. I'm gonna give it a try. Thanks for the recipe!